• Jabref exports to Word 2007 XML

by  • July 31, 2009 • bibtex, java, Word 2007 • 25 Comments

For those of you who don’t know, Jabrefis an open-source, Java based reference manager that allows you to import citations from a number of sources, in a number of formats, and works natively in Bibtex format, the bibliography format of LaTeX. I’ve been using it extensively in my PhD but only recently have I noticed that you can now directly export the list of references in Jabref directly into a Word 2007 XML format for import into Word’s own reference manager. It’s pretty easy to do but there are a few steps involved.

In Jabref:
    1. Click File->Export
    2. Select MS Office 2007 XML and save file

Once the XML file has been created, you can import any one of the references in the following manner, within Word 2007:

1. Go into the References tab, and select Manage Sources from the menu
    2. In the Source Manager dialog box that pops up, click Browse on the left hand side
    3. Select the XML file you saved via Jabref, and the references should appear in the ‘Master List’ on the left hand side of the dialog.
    4. You can then select any one (or all) of the references in the Master list and by pressing the ‘Copy->’ button the selected references are moved into the ‘Current List’ from which you can use the cite as you write functionality in Word 2007. Any references in this Current List are then written in the bibliography, which you can create by choosing from one of the styles in the Bibliography drop-down in the References tab.

This supersedes an earlier program I posted which did a similar thing.

About

.NET developer at thetrainline.com, previously web developer at MRM Meteorite. Awarded a PhD in misbehaviour detection in wireless ad-hoc networks.A keen C# ASP.net developer bridging the gap with APIs and JavaScript frameworks, one web app at a time.

25 Responses to Jabref exports to Word 2007 XML

1. Marta Assuncao
      November 17, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Hi Paul,
      I’ve followed the info you’ve provided to use Jabref references in Word 2007, very useful! I wonder if there’s a way of adding more or changing the bibilography styles available in the word 2007.
      Thanks,
      Marta

2. November 17, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Hi Marta, thanks for the comment – there is a great open source effort called Bibword which is hosted at Codeplex adding new bibliography styles to Word 2007, check out http://bibword.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Styles&referringTitle=Home for a load of styles, including Harvard and IEEE, and installation instructions.

3. j
      March 18, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Hi Paul,
      I’m starting to use jabref, found it very useful. I’ve tried linking it with word 2007. I dont know much about computer stuffs…when i followed your instruction…In Jabref:
      1. Click File->Export
      2. Select MS Office 2007 XML and save file

none of my word document was shown.. wondering wwhy. Any suggestion?

4. March 24, 2010 at 9:54 am

Hi,

By doing steps 1. and 2., Jabref will export your bibliography you built in Jabref into an format suitable for importing into Word 2007. You should then import this file into Word 2007 by following the rest of the guide.

Hope that clarifies things, please leave another comment if not.
      Paul

5. Pingback: Paul Kiddie’s Blog : What does Word 2010 offer for reference management?

6. Xiaojuan JIA
      September 30, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Hi, Paul. Thanks. I never know that to export the JabRef library into a Word 2007 XML bibligraphy is so useful. I tried to use plug-in JabRef in Word 2007, but I feel it is not very efficient.

7. SMajer
      October 12, 2010 at 8:01 am

Hi Paul

I’m a new to jabref and when I try to export my file in xml.-format, the program gives me this error message: “array index out of range:0”
      Any idea what’s going on? Since I’m also not very experienced with java scripts, I’m kind of at a loss here.

8. October 15, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Hi SMajer,

Are you using the latest version of Jabref? Do you get the error “array index out of range:0″ within Jabref or in MS Word?

Cheers,
      Paul

9. SMajer
      October 23, 2010 at 9:39 am

I use the latest version of jabref. The error message pops up in jabref.

10. Bene K
      February 11, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Hello, Paul

Thanks for your tips.

I managed to export my Jabref library into a XML file.
      But when I try to import it to MS Word 2010 I don’t find the meu point “Manage Sources” in the “reference” tab of MS Word 2010.

What might be my problem?

Thanks in advance.

Bene

11. Khaled
      January 26, 2012 at 9:11 am

Thanks Paul!
      Very useful way. Now I do not need to purchase Endnote.

12. azreena
      February 17, 2012 at 4:24 am

Hi Paul!

I’ve tried exporting my references from JabRef to xml/html file. Then via MsWord I import the file using Manage Source in Reference tab. It’s work. But the problem now is only the firt and second author showed in the author field but the rest disappeared (this is for the case more than 2 authors).

Regards,

13. Sally Walker
      March 2, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I am trying to export to WORD 2010. I was able to follow all the instructions, but the citations only had author name, date and title. Also when there were multiple authors, the names were scrambled together. Any advice on this?

thanks,

Sally

14. Pedro
      May 1, 2012 at 6:10 pm

It works, even with word 2010. I tried some articles with more than two authors and works again. I some one know any other issues please let us to know.
      Best regards,

15. May 16, 2012 at 8:55 am

will it work for word 2010?

16. Nguyen Phuong
      August 8, 2012 at 9:02 am

Thank you for your sharing. I also follow your instruction. But when doing step 4 (click Copy button), there is a note of word saying that “This tag name exists in both the master list and the document. Each source must have a unique tag name. Do you want to overwrite this source?” Then I choose Yes or No, nothing happens – the reference is not able to inserted in the word file. What should I do now? I really need your advice. Thank you very much!

17. Himani
      October 17, 2012 at 8:38 am

The step 4 (click Copy button), there is a note of word (2010) saying that “This tag name exists in both the master list and the document. Each source must have a unique tag name. Do you want to overwrite this source?” Then I choose Yes or No, nothing happens – the reference is not able to inserted in the word file. Could you please help me to find out the solution

18. Pingback: Sunny Blog » MicroSoft (MS) Office Citation/Bibliography – How To

19. Sebastien
      November 26, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Hi Paul!

Thanks for this advice, the last thing missing to make Jabref a very good tool for those (like me) who are too lazy to switch to LateX, now that word equation editor works well at last!

20. Hassan Assalih
      December 26, 2012 at 4:44 am

for the tag name problem do these steps: 1) open the xml file in an editor (Notpad, notpad++)
      2) add the following line in the second line ( after the source)

YOUR_NEW_TAG_NAME_FOR_THE_PAPER

where YOUR_NEW_TAG_NAME_FOR_THE_PAPER is a tag of your choice, try to use a tag which is not used before, put authors full names, ISSN , date .. etc …. save the file and add it to word 2007-2010 ref manager … problem solved …
      hope this will help some one …

21. steveblue
      March 3, 2013 at 5:12 am

The step 4 (click Copy button), there is a note of word (2010) saying that “This tag name exists in both the master list and the document. Each source must have a unique tag name. Do you want to overwrite this source?” This still is not resolved for word 2010. Is there a way to fix it for a file with many entries.

22. John
      November 2, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Hey Guys,

For those of you experiencing the problem, “This tag name exists in both the master list and the document. Each source must have a unique tag name. Do you want to overwrite this source?” there is a simple way around this problem.
      Once you have all your references open in Jabref, highlight them all and press the ‘Autogenerate Bibtex keys’ in the command bar… looks like a wand. This will generate what are called tags, a combination of the first authors last name and year of publication, this is what Word assigns as unique identifier to each particular source… and as such each ‘tag’ needs to be unique.
      You can then export your list of references in xml format as described above and open this file in Word through the citation manager. You should no longer be experiencing the aforementioned error.

Cheers,

23. John
      November 2, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Hey Guys,

Cheers,

24. iBRAHIM
      December 5, 2014 at 4:51 am

Your knowledge has been of tremendous help towards this. I appreciate, it worked and made my citations easy. cc: all having numbers are the ref key. On Jabref you have to click on the generate key before saving. This is the best and the most convenient way of dealing with referencing and citing.

Thanks once again.

25. AB2
      September 18, 2017 at 11:10 am

I had this error message: “This tag name exists in both the master list and the document. Each source must have a unique tag name. Do you want to overwrite this source?”

The solution in John’s comment worked. He was really helpful. Thanks a lot!